Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mayo...Homemade!

Who knew?!  I was very skeptical when I read the blog about making your own mayo.  I wasn't sure it would work or how it would taste.

My first attempt was a learning attempt (not a failure, because I learned something).  I poured my oil in TOO slowly as opposed too fast.

My second attempt was PERFECT!  The taste is amazing and the consistency is perfect.

I found the recipe/tutorial on Pinterest and thought, I could do that!  :)

Here is the recipe...

Homemade Mayo

1 egg, room temp
2 T lemon juice, jarred works best for consistent acidity, room temp
1/2 t dry ground mustard
1/2 t salt
1/4 plus 1 cup light tasting olive oil, NOT extra virgin olive oil


1. Put egg and lemon juice in blender and let them come to room temp together (30-60 minutes).
2. Add lemon juice, dry mustard, salt and 1/4 c olive oil.  Blend on LOW for about 30 seconds.
3. GRADUALLY add 1 cup olive oil.  A THIN, continuous stream of oil.  This should take about 2-3 minutes (Mine worked great at 2 minutes 10 seconds, I had my timer going...lol).  DO NOT DUMP in the 1 c of oil.  It will not work.

It is VERY important to have your ingredients all at room temp.  It will give you the best consistency and results.  :)

Here are the links to the original recipe and tutorial that I followed.  I will post my own version later.  :)

Recipe

Tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment