Monday, September 26, 2011

An Apple Crisp for ME!

I was so excited to find a dessert recipe that I could actually eat!  I haven't had much in the line of sweets since I went dairy, soy, and gluten free almost 2 months ago.  So when I thought about a dessert that I would like to have I thought of apple crisp.  I found this recipe on the internet and am SO excited about it!  It tastes REALLY good and I can eat it!

So here is the recipe!


Gluten Free Apple Crisp
FILLING
  1. 3-4 Braeburn (or similar) apples, peeled, sliced into 1/4″ thick slices
  2. 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  3. 2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice (I didn't use this)
  4. 3 Tablespoons to 1/4 c. white sugar or turbinado sugar (to taste)
  5. 2 Tablespoons to 1/4 c. brown sugar (to taste)
  6. 2 Tablespoons (more or less) GF Flour mix – depending on juiciness of the apples
CRISP TOPPING
  1. 6 Tablespoons butter, slightly softened (I used Earth's Balance: Soy, Dairy and Gluten Free margarine)
  2. 1/3 c. GF quick oats, roughly ground almonds & walnuts, or quinoa flakes (I used GF quick oats)
  3. 1/4 c. GF Flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF flour)
  4. 2-3 Tablespoons white sugar (to taste)
  5. 1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar (to taste)
  6. optional: ground cinnamon (1 tsp) and freshly ground nutmeg (1 tsp)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 375*F.
  2. Peel and slice apples into thin slices (1/4″).
  3. Put into a medium bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix.
  4. Add sugars, flour and cinnamon.
  5. Mix together very well.
  6. Pour into medium (for thin) or small (for deep) baking dish.
  7. Put softened butter into the same bowl where you mixed the apples.
  8. Add oats (or other option), flour and sugars and “squish” together well until crumbly.
  9. Pour and crumble over apples in baking dish evenly.
  10. Bake for 23-30 minutes.
Cool slightly before serving (5-10 minutes).
Serve over all natural GF vanilla ice cream.

I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did!  Hope there is still some left for dessert after dinner.  :)
<3 Alison

2 comments:

  1. You really should check out the Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. Most of her recipes are free of gluten, dairy, and soy. I even sub some of her other ingredients (I use honey instead of agave nectar, and coconut oil instead of...whatever she uses, lol). And they're good, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a cookbook I may have to invest in! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete