Saturday, October 1, 2011

I got brave! (GF, DF, SoyFree baking!)

The other day a friend of mine posted a recipe on FB.  I was intrigued because it was all the things free that I am!  :)  So I thought I would try it out.

Here is the recipe:

Brownies: of the dairy, soy and gluten free varitey!

1/3 c coconut oil
1/2 c cocoa powder
6 eggs
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c coconut flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour)
1 c nuts (optional)

In a saucepan on low heat, blend together oil and cocoa.  Remove from heat and let cool.  In a bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla.  Stir in cocoa mixture.  Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps.  Fold in nuts (if using).  Pour into a greased 8x8 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

REVIEW:  Very tasty!  It is so nice to have a treat around that I can have!  :)  YUM!

Flourless Fudge Cookies

2 1/4 c confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp espresso powder (optional) (I didn't use it)
1 c cocoa powder, Dutch-processed preferred (I used Hershey's)
3 large egg whites (I used the full egg)
2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract

For darker richer-looking cookies, substitute 1/4 cup black cocoa for 1/4 cup of the Dutch-processed cocoa.

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease two baking sheets.  Or line with parchment and grease the parchment.

Stir together all of the ingredients till smooth.  Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and stir again till smooth.

Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets in balls about the size of ping pong balls, about 1 1/2"; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.

Bake the cookies for 8 minutes; they should spread, become somewhat shiny, and develop faintly crackly tops.

Remove the cookies from the oven, and allow them to cool right on the pan.

CHANGES I MADE:  I used 3 full eggs.  I sprayed one sheet with cooking spray and didn't do the other.  The one I sprayed did NOT set up and just spread.  The one I did not spray worked REALLY well.  I would suggest using parchment paper and not greasing it.  Another thing was that one of the pans was chilled prior to baking and the other was not.  The one that was chilled (without cookies on it) worked the best.

REVIEW:  VERY chocolate-y!  I LOVE them.  One cookie will do you!  :)

I am so excited that I finally got brave enough to try some of these things for myself.  So far am 2 for 2. :)

Enjoy your gluten free eating!
<3 Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment