Friday, July 30, 2010

Crock-Pot Yogurt

Say WHAT?!
I came across a blog the other day and found a recipe for crock-pot yogurt.
I was intrigued.  So I thought, why not?

Here is the original recipe.

Here is the recipe just in case you don't want to leave the blog.  :)

Crock Pot Yogurt
Tools:
crock pot
bath towel

Ingredients:
1/2 gallon whole milk, NOT ultra-pasteurized (pasteurized and homogenized is just fine)
1/2 plain yogurt, with live and active cultures (this is your starter)

Directions:
Pour 1/2 gallon milk into the crock pot.  Turn on low and let it sit for 2 1/2 hours.
Then unplug/turn off the crock pot for 3 hours (do not remove the lid).
Take 2 cups of the milk out and wisk in the 1/2 cup of yogurt and return the mixture to the crock pot.
Put the lid back on and cover with a thick bath towel (I used a beach towel).  Let sit, unplugged, for 8 hours or overnight. 

The consistency is thinner than regular yogurt but the flavor is terrific.  I added some peaches, granola and a touch of honey and it was amazing!  You can blend in different flavors (blueberries, peaches, strawberries, etc) but I like to add my fruit to each serving.

Reserve 1/2 a cup of your yogurt so you can do it again.  Yogurt will be good for 7-10 days.

I did this just as it said...minus my snafu of not remembering to plug in the crock pot.  So my crock pot sat with the milk in it a bit longer...lol.  At any rate, I really love how this turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment