Friday, April 9, 2010

Ham and Potato Soup

This is one of my very favorite things to have in the winter.  And since today is a bit chilly (and probably one of the last times we will have it before winter hits again) I thought it would be a great way to warm up.  :)

Here is the recipe:

2t olive oil
1 sm onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 32oz box of chicken broth
3-4lbs potatoes, I usually use russets
1c buttermilk (I used whole milk this time and it turned out fine too)
1/2 t salt
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
croutons

Coat a large pan with olive oil and warm.  Then add the onion and garlic until transparent (5ish minutes, careful not to burn the garlic).

Then add the ham, potatoes and broth, bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.  Some like to cover the pot at this point but since I like my soup a bit thicker I leave it uncovered.

Take off the heat.  With a potato masher mash the milk into the potato mixture.  If you like a smoother soup you can use a food processor or a blender.

Spoon into bowls and top with cheese and croutons.

You can easily omit the ham and still have a GREAT potato soup.  :)

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

Serves 6.  Prep time: 15 min.  Total time: 45 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment