Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Canary and The Hooker

As promised I am going to elaborate on being a canary and a hooker.  :)

This weekend two of our speakers were Andy Andrews and Nicole Johnson (she did some AMAZING dramas for us).

We will start with Andy Andrews.  He is a very...lively person.  He was so much fun to watch you couldn't help but be riveted to what he was saying.  He was all around the stage, up and down the stairs, down in the audience...just everywhere.  So much fun to watch.  At any rate, he was discussing different personality types.  The Puppy Dog, The Canary, The Goldfish and The Kitty Cat.  Here is a quick break down of what those types mean.  The Puppy Dog: you are looking for positive feedback.  Such as, "You did a GREAT job on that project", "Thanks for making dinner honey!", etc.  The Canary: All the canary wants is for you to want to sit down and listen to them for a bit...insert me waving hand wildly.  The Goldfish:  They are do-ers.   They want to do and fix everything for everyone.  The Kitty Cat: They love touch.  A hug, or a hand on the arm/leg, etc. 
Understanding who you are and who your spouse or friends are will help you to understand and relate to one another.  I know that I am a canary.  I also know that my hubby is a Puppy Dog.  The better you understand who you are, the better you can understand how to relate to other people and who THEY are.



Nicole Johnson.  What can I say.  She is a woman who knows how to do powerful drama.  The one that I remember struck a cord with me.  She came out all dressed up like Captain Hook.  She used this symbol to alert us to our behavior.  When we "hook" people, whether it be our friends, our spouses, or even our kids. 
You would do this for me if you loved me...
That is a very common phrase for people who hook others.  When you are being hooked it feels like there is a contingency on your relationship.  The person being hooked feels trapped.  I know I have done my share of "hooking" but I also know that God can help me to change that and make me a better person.  So I am laying my hook down and giving it to God.  Will you do the same?



I cannot tell you the inspiration and memories that I have from this weekend.  I feel energized again.  I feel like I am a mom with a mission now.  To be a better mom and wife, to be a better sister and daughter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment