Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful for Health

Many of you may not know this, and that is the way we wanted it until we knew what was going on.  We told a core group of people so we could be praying together about what was going on.  Let me rewind and tell you a bit about what happened.

Over MEA break (fall break to those who don't live in MN), I had taken the kiddos to Sioux Falls with Grandma and Uncle B.  We were having a great time.  We stayed in a hotel, swam and did some shopping.  We were finishing up shopping and decided to let the kids play in the play area at the mall for a bit.  Shortly after getting there Butterfly came up to me crying.  She said she fell on her stomach and it hurt.  With that I did what every mom in the world would do, I took her in my arms and comforted her.  A few seconds later I noticed that she stopped crying.  I laid her in my arms and looked at her.  She was pale, her lips were blue and her eyes were rolling in the back of her head.  She was trembling.  *insert freaked out mom here!*  I kept calling her name and rubbing her chest to get her to wake up.  Eventually she came to but was VERY lethargic.  As we thought about it, we realized that this was the third time in six months that we had an episode like this.  It was time to bring her in to the doctor.

The following week we saw our doctor.  She was concerned and recommended that we see a neurologist.  But before he would see us he would require some further testing.  The week after that I took Butterfly to get and MRI and some blood work done.  And then the following day I took her in for an EEG.  After that we had to wait a week to see the neurologist.

During that wait we had made another trip to the doctor's office for an unrelated appointment (not even for Butterfly).  Our doctor told us that they did in deed find something abnormal on her EEG scan.  *insert panicked mom moment*  That is all they could tell me.  Great.   I had a week to really worry about things.  Not something I was looking forward to.

That weekend was the Hearts at Home conference in Rochester, MN that I was attending.  What a blessing that weekend was.  I got to experience the fellowship of other moms who worry and struggle and have similar lives as I do.  It was a fabulous weekend.  During one of the sessions there was a picture of the cross up on the big screen.   I kept envisioning Jesus taking my little girl's hand and holding her close.  That was the best thing I could have experienced.  I knew that He was taking care of her no matter what.  It was then I had a sense of peace.

Fast forward to this week.  We finally had our neurologist appointment yesterday (Thursday).  He looked at her tests and did an exam to evaluate her status quo.  When he was finished he discussed what was going on.  During Butterfly's sleep cycle and during the period where they had her hyperventilate there were abnormal waves.   After discussing the events and after the exam we concluded that we are going to wait on doing anything further.

So for my thankful post for today I am thankful for health.  My kids and hubby, for the most part, are healthy.

What are you thankful for today?
<3 Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment