Monday, August 9, 2010

Who do you lean on?

When things get tough, who is there for you?
Who do you go to when you can't seem to find up?
Who is your strength?  Where do you turn?

Today, I turned to all the wrong places.  Not to say that turning to our friends is bad but ultimately, where should I have turned?  I should have turned to God and it is only now in the quiet solace of my home, with the kids in bed and the washing machine washing do I remember that I could have avoided all of this stress, had I just turned to Him.  Why does it take a 2x4 to get it through my head sometimes? 

God loves me!  He cares about EVERYTHING I do.  He doesn't want me to be stressed out.  He wants me to remember he is there for me ALL the time.  Not only if I have been especially good that day, not if I have prayed 30 times that day, but He is there all the time.  If I would just remember that I could prevent myself from soooo much added stress.

In 1 Peter 5:6-8 it says: "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.  Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

In context, this passage was written to the churches in Asia Minor.  They were being persecuted at the time Peter wrote this letter to them. 

As I reflect on this passage I think of my day today.  It was NOT an easy day.  I had to face some of my demons.  You know the kind, the ones that give you that knot in the pit of your stomach.  They make you want to run away and hide.  I wanted to scream and shout and throw a fit, and to an extent, I did. I know my friends are there to support me.  I know they are there to help me through tough times.  I feel like I have been over burdening them lately though.  I think I have been going to them instead of to God.  I LOVE my friends.  They are fantastic!  We do lots of GREAT things together.  But even so, have I been neglecting the most important relationship that I have?  The one with the Almighty Saviour?  As the song goes, He calls me friend.  And what kind of friend have I been to Him? 

So, I am going to memorize 1 Peter 5:6-8.  I am going to keep that verse close to my heart.  I am going to program it into my phone so I will always have it with me.  I am going to program it into my heart.  I am not going to let the devil prowl around me anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment