Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Quinoa and Bean Salad and Updates!

I found this recipe in my latest edition of Rachael Ray (which I am happy to say I finally ordered on my Nook so I can stop paying off the rack prices!)  and I just had to try it!  :)

Here is the YUM-O (yeah, yeah, I couldn't help myself!) recipe.  :)

Quinoa and Bean Salad

1 20oz can kidney beans (drained)
2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (3/4 c raw)
1 red onion, finely chopped (I only used 1/2 of a med size onion)
2 bunches basil, stems discarded and leaves chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 c EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mix together the kidney beans, quinoa, onion and basil.  In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and 1/2 c EVOO; season with salt and pepper.  Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss to coat evenly.  Serves 4.

To me, this recipe made MORE than 4 servings.  Perhaps 5 or 6.  Next time I make it I will add a bit more basil and a bit more lemon.  I love those flavors and they are fantastic in this dish.  ENJOY!


GARDEN UPDATE!

This weekend we went up to a Lowe's to get some landscape timber.  So I now have the lumber to make my four raised bed gardens for this summer's garden!  I am so excited.  I am hoping that Thursday I can get my seeds planted in the basement so that they can start to germinate.  Yes, I know it seems late to do this but here in MN we can't plant outside until late May so I still have time for them to become nice and big and healthy.  :)

WOOHOO!!

Last weekend we purchased a bigger freezer.  We finally found one that would be delivered to our area! YAY!  And it is being delivered today!  YIPEEEEEE!!!  I will soon have a big freezer to start storing my freezer meals and the meat from the cow much father-in-law will be butchering this month.  I can't wait!  Who knew I could get so excited about a freezer!  I must be growing up...lol!

Hope you are all having a fantastic week!

<3 Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment