Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bird's Nests and Chicken Little Eggs!


These two things went hand in hand.  Well, I guess one is a sweet and the other is a snack but still they are both bird related!  LOL!  :)  

Without further hesitation here is what I have done.  :)

First are the Bird's Nests.  I LOVE these!  They are super cute!  And they are going to look great on my table at Easter.  I can't wait!  :)  

Here is the recipe:

Bird's Nest Cookies
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies
12 oz. package chow mein noodles  
12 oz. package butterscotch morsels
90 egg-shaped candies 
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.  Pour the butterscotch morsels in a microwave-safe bowl and place them in the microwave. 


Heat for 30 seconds then remove to stir. Return to the microwave and heat again for 30 seconds. Stir until melted. Add in the chow mein noodles and mix till combined. 


Use a 1/4 measuring cup to portion out the cookies onto the baking sheet. 


If the mixture starts to solidify in the mixing bowl, you can reheat for 15 to 30 seconds to melt. Place three egg-shaped candies in the center of each cookie. 


Allow to set for at least 5 minutes before serving or transferring.


My mixture was a bit dry.  Next time I won't add all the chow mein noodles at once.  I will check the consistency first.  Just a little tip from me to you.  :)
And now for the Chicken Little Stuffed Eggs! 

Here is the recipe!

Recipe: Chicken Little Stuffed Eggs
INGREDIENTS
8 eggs
5 drops blue, red or green food color, if desired
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon hot dog relish
DIRECTIONS
1. Place eggs in medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer about 15 minutes. Immediately drain; run cold water over eggs to stop cooking. Peel eggs.
2. In measuring cup or old coffee mug, combine 1/2 cup water and food color. Dip peeled eggs 1 at a time into mixture for several seconds until of desired color. Pat dry with paper towel.



3. Cut thin slice from wide bottom of each egg so it will stand straight. With small sharp knife, cut off top of each egg about 1/3 of the way down, either straight across or with small slanted cuts to make a sawtooth edge. Carefully remove top portion and yolk; reserve tops. Place yolks in small bowl.


4. Add mayonnaise and relish to yolks; mash and mix thoroughly with fork. With small spoon, refill large section of egg with yolk mixture, heaping filling. Top each with reserved top portion of egg. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chilled.


I did not use hot dog relish.  I just did my typical deviled egg recipe with salt, pepper and mayo.  I used little pieces of red pepper for "eyes" which I might skip next time.  They look a little creepy...lol.  :)

Enjoy!  
<3 Alison


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, those both look tasty and the nests are so cute, too. I love cute food! Can't wait to try them some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nests are so cute, I might try those with Elayna

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look soo cute, and so much fun!! we will have to try them soon, thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete